Writer: Charles Sutlive
Published April 18, 2017
University System of Georgia
University System of Georgia (USG) Chancellor Steve Wrigley announced today the launch of the Comprehensive Administrative Review. This is a system-wide initiative focused on improving administration through creating efficiencies, streamlining processes and finding ways to be more effective with USG resources.
“The landscape of higher education has changed dramatically over the past decade,” said Wrigley. “Higher education has undergone fundamental changes in who enrolls and why, how instruction is delivered, and how it is paid for. We must ask ourselves: Are we positioned to meet the challenges of today, and are we preparing for those of tomorrow?”
“The time is right for the University System to look in the mirror,” added Wrigley. “A comprehensive examination of how the System and the institutions are administered in light of the new realities in higher education will help ensure we are fulfilling our mission today and tomorrow.”
The system-wide initiative will be led by a specially appointed committee comprised of representatives from USG institutions to take an in-depth look at all non-faculty administrative functions across the University System. Core faculty activities, such as teaching and research, will be exempt from the review.
“I believe our institutions work hard to use resources wisely, but we can always do better, and that is what I am challenging us to do,” said Wrigley. “Ultimately, we need to offer academic excellence, but we must be efficient, too.”
The chair of the Comprehensive Administrative Review committee is Kyle Marrero, president of the University of West Georgia. The initiative will be conducted in phases, starting fall 2017. The University System Office will be the first organization to undergo the review along with four to six institutions, which will be announced later this year. The second phase will begin in the fall of 2018 and include the remaining institutions.
The members of the Comprehensive Administrative Review committee are:
• Chair – Dr. Kyle Marrero, president, University of West Georgia
• Trip Addison, vice president for external affairs, Georgia Southern University
• Dr. Christopher Blake, president, Middle Georgia State University
• Victoria Brock, student government president, Kennesaw State University
• Dr. Kelli Brown, provost and vice president for academic affairs, Georgia College & State University
• Jeff Davis, vice president of finance and administration, Georgia Highlands College
• Jimmy Harper, chief information officer, South Georgia State College
• Dr. Tau Kadhi, provost and vice president for academic affairs, Albany State University
• Dr. Brooks A. Keel, president, Augusta University
• Heidi Benford, administrative assistant, Clayton State University, USG Staff Council
• Dr. Chris Markwood, president, Columbus State University
• Dr. Kelly McFaden, associate professor, University of North Georgia, USG Faculty Council
• Dr. Kim Harrington, associate vice president and chief human resources officer, Georgia Institute of Technology
• Juan Jarrett, associate vice president for human resources, University of Georgia
• Jerry Rackliffe, senior vice president for finance and administration, Georgia State University
• Dr. Theresa Wright, director, survey research and evaluation, Carl Vinson Institute of Government, University of Georgia
Information about the Comprehensive Administrative Review will be available and updated at https://www.usg.edu/adminreview.